Diamine Chocolate Brown has such a rich hue, it feels like writing with a melted chocolate bar. Like all Diamine inks, this one is well behaved, and reliable, but it's not a color you see a lot, so there's something special about it. Read on about this rich dark brown fountain pen ink!
- LAMY AL-star with medium steel nib
- Rhodia No. 16 dot pad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River 52 gsm white paper
- Leuchtturm1917 80g notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time):
- 30+ seconds – This ink is very much like melted chocolate in that it smears even after 30 to 40 seconds of dry time, so take care not to get your fingers inky during writing.
Drip Test (Water Resistance):
- Low – We were able to make out small bits of the line once introduced to water so while not great for line work it would work well for water washes in art.
- High – Between Swab 1 to 3 this ink is deep and rich without much variation.
Ease of Cleaning:
- Medium– While it does not stain this ink is saturated and can take a few flushes to start to break down into clear water.
- Medium – This had a pleasant amount of shading that is seen best on the loops in the writing samples.
- Wet – Along with the long dry times Diamine Chocolate Brown is very wet writing and goes down smoothly.
Packaging and Aesthetics:
- The 30ml bottle this inks comes in is plastic with a narrow neck and flip top, they aren't easy to fill from so we recommend decanting into an inkwell.
If you're interested in similar colors, check out our Swab Shop where you can compare colors side by side.
We think Diamine Chocolate brown is an ink you should check out. It was really fun to work with and is serious enough for workplace writing. While it does have a long dry time, it's not something that would make it unusable. It was fun to write and do some art with.
This color is available in both 30ml bottles and our sample.